Graduate Student Health Insurance
requirements & subsidy information
All full-time domestic and international graduate students on the Danforth campus at Washington University in St. Louis, are required to have health insurance, and will be automatically enrolled in the United Healthcare (UHC) Student Resources plan through the university. The plan goes into effect on August 1 through July 31. Students are allowed to enroll dependents, and/or purchase additional coverage until September 5. This is a hard deadline and no exceptions will be made. You must be registered for Fall 2018 courses full-time before you are eligible, and enrolled in the WU insurance plan.
The deadline to submit a waiver for opting out of the insurance plan is September 5. This is a hard deadline (no exceptions).
- Domestic students may opt out of the insurance plan by completing a waiver that provides proof of adequate coverage through another plan.
- International students may opt out of the insurance plan by completing a waiver that provides proof of U.S. insurance through a U.S. employer via an employee parent or spouse/partner.
If you wish to opt out please see instructions found on the Student Health Services website.
Dental Insurance is available to all students enrolled in the health insurance plan; however, it is not required for Washington University students on the Danforth campus. The deadline to opt out of the dental insurance plan is September 5. This is a hard deadline (no exceptions). If you wish to opt out you must send an email to email@example.com.
If you waive the health insurance, you will not be eligible to remain on the dental insurance plan.
All MFA and PhD students in Arts & Sciences on the Danforth campus receiving full tuition remission and stipend will receive a 90% subsidy provided by the Graduate School for health insurance, dental insurance, and the health & wellness fee.*
*Health & Wellness Fee is charged each semester.
Subsidies will not be posted directly to your account until late September.
All other students need to contact their school/program for information regarding subsidies.
See the list below for contact information:
- Engineering PhD students |
Contact Johanna Sengheiser | 314-935-6183
- Social Work & Public Health Sciences |
Contact Marissa Hardwrict | 314-935-2941
- Medical Campus students |
Contact your individual program administrator
- Information regarding the waiver process can be found on our Student Health Services website shs.wustl.edu/Insurance
- To use your student health insurance prior to September 5, you must be registered for Fall courses full-time, and opt in on the United Healthcare website studentcenter.uhcsr.com
- For more information about student UHC medical, dental, and vision coverage, visit their website studentcenter.uhcsr.com
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS
ABOUT GRADUATE STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE