ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-2021
January 25, 2020
Applicants must be female, applying for a degree program in which they are not currently enrolled, and have earned or be in the process of earning an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution. In considering women for our Olin Fellowship, special consideration is given to the following:
- Evidence of intellectual ability and versatility and of academic achievement.
- Evidence of commitment to undertake and sustain preparation for a career in higher education or the professions.
- Evidence of personal qualities necessary to make constructive contributions to higher education or the professions.
- A resume or CV
- The letter(s) of recommendation from your program application
- A response to the following essay prompt (In 500 words or less):
- Imagine you have just received a MacArthur Fellowship with a no-strings-attached award of $625,000. How would this affect your career path and what would you want to impact with the award.
Please copy and paste the wording of the essay prompt at the beginning of your uploaded document to facilitate the review process.
| APPLICATION PROCEDURE |
You must first fill out and submit your appropriate online application for admission. Be certain that you apply by your department/School's application due date.
All applications must be submitted through the online process. No paper applications will be accepted.
| ELIGIBLE PROGRAMS INCLUDE |
- George Warren Brown School (MPH, MSW, Public Health Sciences PhD, Social Work PhD, joint programs)
- McKelvey School of Engineering (PhD)
- Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts (All MFA programs, MArch, MLA, MUD, DrSU, joint programs)
- Law (JD, Joint JD programs)
- Olin Business School (MBA, PhD)
- Program in Occupational Therapy (PhD)
- Program in Physical Therapy (PhD)
- Program in Nursing Science (PhD)
- Arts & Sciences, including Division of Biology & Biomedical Sciences (MAEd, MAT, MFA, PhD)
- Program in Audiology & Communication Sciences (PhD)
- Illustration and Visual Culture (MFA)
If you are applying to any PhD program (with the exception of Public Health Sciences), the MAT/MAEd in Education, or the MFA in Dance/Writing -
Navigate to your CollegeNET portal. On the “Demographics” section of the application, please indicate whether your undergraduate degree comes/will come from a U.S. institution. After selecting your program of interest on the “Program Selection” page, navigate to the “Program-Related Questions” section of your application in CollegeNET and check the box for the Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship for Women in Graduate Study.
If you have already submitted your application for one of the above-mentioned programs, navigate to your CollegeNET portal checklist to upload the fellowship essay.
If you are applying to Architecture, Law, Public Health Sciences, the MBA in Business Administration, the MSW in Social Work, Urban Design, or Visual Art -
Once you have applied to one of the programs listed above, please fill out the online application for the Olin Fellowship. On the “Demographics” section of the application under Enrollment, when asked what type of program you are applying to please select "Chancellor's and/or Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship", and indicate whether your undergraduate degree comes/will come from a U.S. institution. When navigating the application in CollegeNET, select the program you applied to in the program selection section and check the box for the Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship for Women in Graduate Study on the Program Related Questions page.
Letters of recommendation submitted for your program do not need to be resubmitted.
Please note that if you are applying to a program whose deadline is after the Olin deadline you must complete its application as well as the Olin fellowship application by the first deadline.
| SELECTION PROCEDURE |
Applicants are considered without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin and with regard only to the excellence of their qualifications. Selection is by a committee chaired by the Director of the Olin Fellowship Program. The announcement of the award of Olin Fellowships is made in early March.
Visit our FAQ page for answers to the most frequently asked questions.