The Graduate School is pleased to present this opportunity to graduate students to network, build leadership skills, and explore careers outside of academia
Purpose: To offer graduate students a developmental pathway for building and strengthening leadership skills, while also connecting local start-ups with talented graduate students who wish to gain hands-on experience. This initiative supports our local startup community as well as provides graduate students alternative career paths outside of academia.
Structure: The Pivot 314 Fellowship for graduate students is a year-long program that offers unique, curated programming. Once-a-month evening sessions will focus on developing and strengthening leadership and communication skills. This programming includes an experiential learning opportunity; a 10-week internship with a local start-up. This internship will be offered during the summer (June 2021-August 2021). The Pivot 314 Fellowship will be offered in partnership with the Skandalaris Center for Interdisciplinary Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
Curriculum (session are once a month, evenings):
February 9 – Introduction to Entrepreneurship
March 9 - Start-Up Internship and Career Fair
March TBD - Tapping into Your Own Leadership Skills
April TBD – Resilient Leadership
May 6 – Introduction to Internships
June - August – Internship Experience
September – Welcome back and Social Impact
October - Developing Awareness and Understanding around Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Unconscious Bias Training
November – Public Speaking/Improv
December – Entrepreneurial Leadership Panel
Resources for Pivot 314 Fellowship cohort:
- Personalized advising/coaching
- Invitation to serve on Liberman Advisory Committee
- For Fellows that match with a local start-up for an internship experience, a stipend of $4,000 will be provided
- For the 10-week internship, total hours per week may not exceed 20.
The application is now open and the deadline has been extended to midnight on December 15, 2020. A complete application should include:
- One letter of recommendation - Please have the recommender address the letter to Pivot 314 Fellowship Committee and email it to email@example.com.
- One-page essay detailing your interest in the Pivot 314 Fellowship and any previous leadership experience (leadership experience is not required).
Applicants will be notified of decisions no later than January 8, 2021. Please contact Associate Dean Erin Murdock, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.