funding + support

We know a big part of your graduate school decision hinges on funding, both for your education and for research in your chosen field. We are dedicated to fully covering our Graduate students' needs, with most of our PhD students receiving a stipend and full tuition coverage.

Washington University is committed to funding most PhD students for 4-6 years, depending on the time needed to complete their particular program. Funding typically consists of full tuition remission and a 9 to12 month stipend to defray living expenses. The amounts and vehicles of financial support for graduate students are usually decided by individual Schools. Monetary support may come from the University or from outside sources, and it may be administered by an individual faculty member or by the staff of the program or School. Very few aspects of graduate student financial aid are fully centralized.

The majority of full-time students receive financial support through financial assistance, grants, loans, or Federal Work Study Program opportunities. Financial assistance in the form of fellowships and mentorship are offered annually on a competitive basis through the Graduate School from government, private, unrestricted or endowed sources. Also available are scholarships, fellowships, and clinical internships in applied social sciences; grants and fellowships in national competition and loans.

Washington University encourages and gives full consideration to all applicants for admission, financial aid, and mentorship. The University does not discriminate in access to, or treatment of mentees in, its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or genetic information. Inquiries about compliance should be addressed to the University’s Vice Chancellor for Human Resources, Washington University, Campus Box 1184, One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130.

Specific information may be obtained from the departmental or administrative unit to which the student intends to apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

guidelines, best practices, and additional information for applicants can be found in our Financial FAQs


competitive fellowships

the applications deadline for competitive fellowships is January 25 visit our fellowships for more information, and to apply. 


Chancellor's Graduate Fellowship

All Chancellor's Graduate Fellows receive full tuition remission and a 12-month living stipend. Awards are contingent upon satisfactory progress towards their degree.

Spencer T. and Ann W. Olin Fellowship

All Olin Fellows receive full tuition remission, a 12-month living stipend, and a $600 annual travel award for the duration of their program length. Awards are contingent upon satisfactory progress towards their degree.

additional university awards

external funding

external fellowships are a prestigious and valuable acknowledgment of intellectual pursuit and promise.

explore external funding opportunities

| loans |

As a part of the Budget Control Act of 2011, graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to apply for subsidized loans effective July 1, 2012.

The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan enables graduate students to borrow up to $20,500 per academic year, with an aggregate total not to exceed $138,500 (undergraduate and graduate combined). Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2017, will carry a fixed interest rate and an Origination fee. Additional information can be found in the Master Promissory Note. 

The Federal Government has set the Origination fee to 1.059% and the Unsubsidized Interest Rate at 6.079% for the 2019-2020 academic year. 

Federal Student Aid Programs are authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act that provides grants, loans and work-study funds from the federal government to eligible students enrolled in college or career school. Title IV programs are the largest source of post-secondary funding from the federal government. 


| eligibility |

Eligibility is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a student loan Master Promissory Note and the amount of assistance awarded by your Academic Department.


| reapplication |

A new application is required for each academic year. 

Students reapplying for the Stafford Unsubsidized Loan must complete the Unsubsidized Loan Application and submit the following to Janna Schmitt:

Unsubsidized Loan Application

*This ensures the loan is available at the beginning of fall semester.

contact us