Community Building & Inclusion
- work effectively in diverse teams
- collaborate on projects
- value diverse perspectives and approaches
- define roles and appropriate norms for interaction
- navigate difficult conversations
Explore Our Programming Focused on Community Building & Inclusion:
EyeSeeMe, the US's largest African American children's bookstore and start-up, will share a business challengeand graduate students in the humanities will get a chance to think critically and present solutions to the founders and panel of judges. Grad students can work individually or in teams for a chance to support a startup and win a prize!
LinkedIn can be a valuable resource to research career options, make connections, and search for a job.
Attend this interactive session to:
- Learn the benefits of connecting and networking through LinkedIn
- Develop strategies for using social media for the job search
- Set up or update your LinkedIn profile to advance your career goals
Social Media Platforms
Attend this session to:
- Identify your goal in using social media
- Understand the benefits of using social media for networking
- Set up your social media profile to advance your career goals
- Practice using social media to search for jobs
Attend career panel events and learn about diverse careers.
Reading Group: So What Are You Going To Do With That?
This reading group explores careers in the Humanities & Social Sciences. Meeting twice a month to discuss Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius’s So What Are You Going to Do With That?: A Guide for M.A.’s and Ph.D’s Seeking Careers Outside the Academy. The group will discuss work both inside and outside academia, and everything in between.
Communicating Your Research To The Public
You may have mastered jargon from your field, but can you translate your research for: Lawmakers? Grant administrators? Twitter followers? Hiring managers?
Attend this interactive learning session to:
- Break down your research from the perspective of your audience
- Explain the importance of communicating to audiences beyond the academy
- Practice communicating your research in common language
Establishing Effective Mentoring Relationships
Mentors can contribute in crucial ways to the success of your academic and career progress, so it’s important to be thoughtful about selecting a mentoring team and managing those relationships.
Attend this session to:
- Understand the importance of assembling a diverse mentoring team
- Discuss strategies to get the support you need from your mentors
- Practice communication skills to navigate through difficult conversations