1. If you wish to apply for a Federal student loan, we ask that you complete and submit a Detailed Budget of your income and expenses so that you request only the amount of loan that you need. Your requested loan amount should be based on this budget.
2. To review all previous federal loans that you have taken, refer to the NSLDS database. You can obtain a PIN at https://studentaid.gov. The PIN will be sent via the US Postal Service or email.
3. Approximately 1 week after submitting your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you are chosen by the Department of Education for a random verification check we will request a signed copy of your 1040 federal tax return at a later date.
*Students MUST use School Code 2520
4. Visit studentaid.gov to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will need your Federal Student Aid PIN to complete this step. If you do not have a PIN you will need to sign up for one. You must complete a new Direct Loan MPN if you have not already done so as a graduate student at Washington University. Loan checks will not disburse if you have not completed an MPN.
5. Complete Entrance Counseling, which is required for any new borrower, any borrower who has had a break in their loan periods, or a change in lender. Loan checks will not disburse if you have not completed Entrance Counseling. Entrance Counseling can be completed online at studentaid.gov. You will need your Federal Student Aid PIN to complete this step. If you do not have a PIN you will need to sign up for one.
6. To apply for the Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, students must be registered as a full-time student (enrolled in nine or more units). If you are a full-time student registering for fewer than 9 units, you need to add LGS 9000 or LGS 9001.
7. Maintain satisfactory academic progress. The federal government requires Washington University to measure academic progress each summer prior to the awarding of federal aid for the coming academic year. Awards may be withheld for students who are not making satisfactory progress.
8. Complete the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form. (You must provide a requested loan amount from your attached budget. Forms with "max" will not be accepted).
9. Complete the Excess Title IV Funds Usage Authorization Form. (Recommended by the Student Accounting Office). If you have completed previously, skip this step.