Your Information
Federal Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan Application
Please provide all documentation requested below for your application.
Federal Loan Disbursements
The Graduate School Financial Aid Office will award loans based on an evaluation of all of the required financial aid documents. Students will receive an award letter detailing the amounts of their federal loan award. Students must accept or decline their award online. Instructions for doing so are sent via email with award notification. Student Financial Services will send an email informing loan recipients of the availability of their loan refund. Students must sign up through WebSTAC for direct deposit of their loan refunds. Contact Student Accounting at 1-800-758-0050 for more information regarding direct deposit.
Health Fees
Please be aware that the student health fee will be withheld from fall and spring Federal student loan checks. If you are eligible, you will receive the Graduate School student health fee subsidy later in the semester. This subsidy will usually generate a credit to your student account.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for a Federal student loan, we ask that you complete and submit a Detailed Budget of your income and expenses so that you request only the amount of loan that you need. Your requested loan amount should be based on this budget.
To review all previous federal loans that you have taken, refer to the NSLDS database. You can obtain a PIN at The PIN will be sent via the US Postal Service or email.
Have you completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at (Approximately 1 week after submitting your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you are chosen by the Department of Education for a random verification check we will request a signed copy of your 1040 federal tax return at a later date.)
*Students MUST use School Code 2520
Visit to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will need your Federal Student Aid PIN to complete this step. If you do not have a PIN you will need to sign up for one. You must complete a new Direct Loan MPN if you have not already done so as a graduate student at Washington University. Loan checks will not disburse if you have not completed an MPN.
Complete Entrance Counseling, which is required for any new borrower, any borrower who has had a break in their loan periods, or a change in lender. Loan checks will not disburse if you have not completed Entrance Counseling. Entrance Counseling can be completed online at . You will need your Federal Student Aid PIN to complete this step. If you do not have a PIN you will need to sign up for one.
To apply for the Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, students must be registered as a full-time student (enrolled in nine or more units). If you are a full-time student registering for fewer than 9 units, you need to add LGS 9000 or LGS 9001.
Maintain satisfactory academic progress. The federal government requires Washington University to measure academic progress each summer prior to the awarding of federal aid for the coming academic year. Awards may be withheld for students who are not making satisfactory progress.
Complete the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form. (You must provide a requested loan amount from your attached budget. Forms with "max" will not be accepted).
Complete the Excess Title IV Funds Usage Authorization Form. (Recommended by the Student Accounting Office). If you have completed previously, skip this step.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
4 + 5 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.