History

A faculty member, Edmund Engler earned the first Ph.D. at Washington University in 1892. He would later become the dean of the School of Engineering.  The first student to earn a Ph.D. at Washington University was a woman, Anna Isabel Mulford, in 1895. She was a graduate student in the botany program. Dr. Mulford's handwritten dissertation examined Agaves in the United States and is located in the University Archives.  She subsequently discovered several species of which some, including Mulford's milkvetch, were named for her. The School of Graduate Studies was established in 1922, and was renamed the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences in 1947. The present organization of the Graduate School dates from 1964, when the faculties of the Graduate School and the College coalesced into a single Faculty of Arts & Sciences. The Graduate School, the College, and the Faculty are each headed by a full dean. The School’s 1964 constitution is still in effect today; among its clauses is the stipulation that the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences will confer all Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees at Washington University.

Graduate Deans in Arts & Sciences

2014- 

William F. Tate, Education

 

2008-2014

Richard J. Smith, Anthropology

 

1993-2008

Robert E. Thach, Biology

 

1983-1993

Edward N. Wilson, Mathematics

 

1980-1983

Luther S. Williams, Biochemistry

 

1979-1980

David Kirk (Acting Dean), Biology

 

1967-1979

Ralph E. Morrow, History

 

1963-1967

David B. Carpenter, Sociology

 

1953-1963

Lewis E. Hahn, Philosophy

 

1945-1953

Carl Tolman, Geology

 

1938-1945

Richard Jones, English

 

1924-1938

Otto Heller, German